Saturday, April 6, 2024

Seed Packet Junk Journal

 

Hi friends!

Spring is here and I can't

wait to be in the garden!

After planting I saved the empty seed packets.

I made these mini journals for a Garden Party Boutique.

They can be used for garden notes and thoughts or artwork.


The fronts of the packets have beautiful photographs.

I just cut the packets open on 3 sides.

Then I glued paper to the back and trimmed with scissors.



These are very simple to make and don't have 

many steps.


I used my sewing machine to stitch around the outside.

I like the look and it gives a little strength to the cover.

For the inside-

I save scrap paper- 

These half size sheets are the bottom half of my eBay labels.


I recycled this small spray bottle.

It worked so well that when it was empty

I saved it to fill with strong coffee to stain my paper!



I lay the paper out on a cookie sheet and spray each piece.

I leave them in the oven until the dry.

They dry with the heat from the pilot light in a gas oven.







I cut them in half and folded again.




This was just the right size for the seed packets.




I stacked 6 pages to make a single signature

 and sewed the stack to the cover.

Basic 3 hole method
.
 Start inside center hole, pull

thread outside, come back through top hole

go down to bottom hole go through

to the outside cover and back through

center and tie off.














Decorated some of the pages.



Tied closed with ribbon.








Stamped some pages-


Glued some 'belly bands'

inside to make a pocket.



Tucked some tiny glassine bags with seeds

in some pockets,




Then tied it closed with a scrap of ribbon.

I have a lot of old wrinkly seam binding.




I love the vintage look of this one-



I added a sunflower charm to the ribbon.



These have a Garden Fairy on the cover.





My sister gave me these large seed packets below from

a trip they took to Canada.

The packets were a thoughtful gift.

I planted the seeds and saved 

 the packaging.

They will make a special keepsake journal.





Here's a close up  of the garden

information.

The Butchart Gardens

My sister said it was a beautiful

 100+ year old

 English Garden.

Has anyone been there?


Thank you for being here today!

I appreciate the visit-

xo Lisa S

28 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    You always come up with fabulous ideas. I love these. I think the pumpkin is my favorite one. The ones from Canada are very unique.
    Hugs,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bev,
      I'm sorry it takes me so long to read comments! I really appreciate the visit, I just can't get it together.
      I need to do better!!! I hope you had a nice Easter.
      I'm getting ready for a spring boutique with the garden club.
      I'm glad you liked my mini seed packet journals. The pumpkin is my favorite too. I already decided to keep it to fill with pumpkin recipes!
      Thank you for always being a sweet friend!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  2. Hi, Lisa! These are journals adorable! I am super inspired by your creation and would love to invite you to link up your project at the Senior Salon Pit Stop to inspire others and have a chance to be featured! Visiting from Thursday Favorite Things #655
    Maria @ kraftyplanner.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! In Maine, I haven't even thought of seeds yet. Snow is finally almost all melted! Crazy spring. I think these journals would make lovely favors for each guest at a meal or for gardening friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, Thank you so much. I have another friend from Maine and she agrees it has been a crazy spring! IT SURE IS BEAUTFUL IN MAINE. These will be going to the garden club boutique. I was able to finish planting my vegetable garden today- we have had a very wet spring!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  4. I love these seed journals! Some seed packets are definitely worth saving. These little booklets are a wonderful idea.
    Your eBay shop is full of treasures! I have saved your shop as a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Thank you so much! I'm so glad you stopped by and even looked around! If you see anything that interests you send me an offer, I'd love to give you a great deal-ok?
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  5. Love, love, love these!!!! I always am obsessed over garden goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra! I love to decorate with things from the garden.
      My profile picture is just some of my garden 'claw' tools- I don't know how I started collecting those- No two are alike.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  6. How sweet, I love them! I'm working on a junk journal right now too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania, Thank you! I look forward to seeing your journal !!!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  7. These are darling. I need to make one. Sharing on my FB. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever idea. These are so darling, Lisa. Great display of all of them, too. Thank you for sharing this post with me and with my readers at the Will Blog for Comments #34 linkup. We hope to see you again next week at #35 sharing more posts, old or new. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      Thank you for your sweet comment!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  9. These little notebooks are so beautiful Lisa, thanks for sharing with us at Handmade Monday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,
      Thank you so much! I love to join your party, thank you for hosting.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  10. These are amazing and I never would have thought to do that. I love how clever you are. Thank you for sharing it with us on Farmhouse Friday. I'm featuring these little cuties this week. Hope you link up again. pinned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      You are so sweet! I loved your comment. Wow, I'm thrilled to be in the feature. I appreciate you so much!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  11. Lisa, you just make the BEST journals... and these seed packet junk journals are right in there! ADORE this idea! I think they look vintage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna,
      Thank you so much. Have you ever been to the Butchart Gardens in Canada?
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  12. Genius idea. Thanks so much for participating and sharing at SSPS 306. See you again next week at https://esmesalon.com/tag/seniorsalonpitstop/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved your seed packet ideas...mine are so wrenched up from folding and wet, and dirt....lol. Lovely ideas, thanks for sharing! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi, It's great to hear from you. The seed packets that are wrinkled and worn have a better story to tell.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete

Make a Bird on a Perch

  Hello Friend! I found these birds at the local Garden Center. They had texture like hand carved wood. I think they may be made of resin or...