Friday, May 3, 2019

Easy Nature Walk Moss Terrariums

                                                                                                                                                 
Keeping a low-maintenance terrarium is a great way to add something living to your space,

especially if you lack time or a green thumb.



An enclosed terrarium, one with a removable lid or narrow neck,
 
provides ample humidity and creates its own tiny ecosystem.

It is well suited for plants that are compact and thrive in high humidity, like moss.
 
 I admit I am obsessed with moss!
 
I used these old jars I had on hand.



You can also add tiny sticks and some decorative rocks or miniature figurines,

the possibilities are endless. I added acorn caps filled with a different variety of moss.


 

 
Let's take a little walk-



When you go on your nature walk, bring a small container to collect your moss.

This way you can store it until you are ready for use.
 
 

 Pinch the moss so you can bring some soil attached from the underside.


 
 
I purchased this set of tweezers at the Dollar Tree.
 
They were helpful and you could use them for other craft projects......
 
but optional.
                                                                                                                                                                       
 

                           

 Before adding potting soil to your terrarium,
 

 spread a half-inch layer of gravel at the bottom of your

 planter to create drainage. You can use any natural material you find.
 
I had some sand and pea gravel. 

 
         A moist bed of potting soil with some broken twigs, dried leaves and bark.
 

           
When you add your potting soil, lightly press down to remove any air pockets.

 
 
 
I filled an acorn with moss.
 
 
 

 
 
 







 
 
Make sure to place your terrarium in a spot that receives indirect light and rotate.


Do not over water, remove lid occasionally to cool and dry out if needed.




 
 
 



 
 





Enjoy an early Spring nature walk and tell me what you find!
xo Lisa S
.
 

25 comments:

  1. What a cute idea Lisa. Easy peasy too! My kind of stuff. Happy day to you. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy
      Free and easy projects are the best!
      Thank you so much. I hope you have a great week.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  2. Loved your terrariums. Have seen some tiny fairy garden gnomes that would LOVE to live in your jars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy
      You are sweet! I'm totally going to look around for a miniature. Thanks for the idea. xo Lisa S

      Delete
  3. Oh, I need to do this!! I love this kind of thing.
    #embracingchangelinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      I am so glad you like this idea. I can't believe it really is thriving. I am obsessed with moss!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  4. Hi Lisa, came across your post on the Blogger's Pit Stop. Thanks for sharing about terrariums - a portable garden in glass! I'm looking forward to having one or a few myself when I get my own place ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne
      Thank you so much! I usually kill houseplants, these are thriving so far.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  5. Love this, Lisa! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cecilia
      You are so kind! Thank you for hosting, I love hanging out at Vintage Charm!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  6. My Mom had a terrarium when I was a kid...I loved it! This is very cute and I might try this project if I can find some moss. :)

    Found you on the Simple Homestead hop and I would love to have you join us on Farm Fresh Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa
      It's nice to meet you.
      I'm glad you stopped by to say hello. Thank you for inviting me to your blog hop. I added it to my blog hop page. See you there! Thank you for hosting. xo Lisa S

      Delete
    2. Happy to have you join the party, Lisa!

      Delete
  7. Oh these are fabulous! Such a nice touch of nature and I love anything in an apothecary jar. Featuring when my link party opens up tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these are so pretty, thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa
      Thank you for your nice comment! You are welcome- Thank you for hosting each week.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  9. They look great I love that you filled them with treasures from a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a smart use of natural items... and inexpensive jars! Thanks for sharing at Homestyle Gathering, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie
      I am so glad you stopped by!
      Thank you for hosting.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  11. This is a great idea and so easy to do. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was so easy...and still living!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedMonthlyLinkParty 1! Pinned ♥

    ReplyDelete

  13. This information is meaningful and magnificent which you have shared here . I am impressed by the details that you have shared in this post and It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. I would like to thanks for sharing this article here.
    garden moss for sale

    ReplyDelete

Faux Tin Tile Bunny

Hello My Friends!  Most of the Craft and Dollar Stores have some chunky cut outs for Spring! There are so many ways to decorate these. I use...