Monday, April 26, 2021

Recycled Junk Mail / Business Envelopes



Hello my Friends,


Do you get a lot of junk mail ?

Sometimes I look through it and think,

''What can I make with that?"

Some cool bits of cardstock and sometimes

fun colors and textures-



This week it was envelopes with windows,


I decided to cover them with pretty paper.



First, I cut 3 sides of the envelope- top and both sides.


So it will opened it up.


Fold your top flap piece down about 1 1/2''

then another fold line 1/4'' under the first fold.


Open the envelope and cut down the center fold line 

to the second flap fold line.


Glue down the flap on inside window side.

Measure your paper, mine was 8'' wide.

Fold in half, slip your envelope inside to mark the window.






Run a pencil or bone folder along the inside of the window.

It will leave an indentation in the paper.


I went over the mark with pencil so you could see.


Use a utility blade to  x-out the window.

You can use tiny scissors to cut open the window.



You can use Distress Ink on paper edges.

Then you can glue down the front over the window.

Next choose what you would like to see through the window

and glue to the inside of  the back.


Make a closure with tiny brads or eyelets.
I cut 1 1/2'' circles with cardboard and covered with 
decorative paper.

Poke a hole in center and attach to your folder.






Glue a scrape piece on  flap

and cover the back of the brad,

glue down and score and fold your flap again.







I  used a 2'' circle to cut a half circle

finger pull.



Cut a 12'' piece of string.

I used embroidery floss.

Tie around top closure and knot.

On the other end I added a bead,








That's it-

Here are some of the folders I made.






This envelope had a large window.


This is the back -




This is  the front-


And this is the back-








I'm so glad we could spend some quiet time together!

I hope I didn't confuse you with too many details.


Thanks!

xo Lisa S

38 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I love it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you stencil, stamp, watercolor to get the beautiful designs/colors on the outsides or what? Soooo pretty.

      Delete
    2. I used old magazines, art from books, mail flyers, scrapbook paper.... anything that I have saved and filed away.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I love using what's supposed to be thrown away in my artwork! Just today, I made a card with a portion of a Kleenex box! Your projects are wonderful! I love the world of upcycling. I'm glad you do too! Smiles, Linda at Paper Seedlings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I love everything you make ;)
      It is a special feeling of accomplishment when we can make something from an other wise discarded item. Free is my favorite word....well one of them!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Thank you!
      You are SO artsy...I'll treasure that comment :)
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Jennifer'
      Nice of you to say!
      I hope you are having a wonderful week!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Michele
      Thank you! My neighbor saw what I was making and she brought more
      envelopes over. I appreciated the thought but had to say NO more:)
      xo ;) Lisa S

      Delete
  6. These are beautiful Lisa - they look just like the ones I used to buy in the stores! CONGRATS - you are our Friend of the Week at Friendship Friday at Create With Joy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful use of what we would otherwise consider "junk"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these are just lovely. And what do you end up doing with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used one for my thrift store cash allotment.....to keep myself from spending to much in theory. Gave 2 away with flower seed request. The last one is empty for now, maybe I'll tuck it into a journal.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  9. So creative! Thanks for sharing on Happiness is Homemade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hosting and stopping by!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  10. What a fun, fun idea! I'm going to feature this at our Party in Your PJs link party tomorrow night on my Grandma Ideas site. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina! I appreciate all you hosting each week.
      I am honored to be in the feature.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  11. These are lovely. I've been making some gift bags with similar fastenings myself this week, they are fun aren't they and surprisingly easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie!
      I look forward to seeing your gift bags. What a great idea to make them reusable. I just love this type of closure :)
      You are so sweet to stop by- Thank you for hosting each week.
      I don't know how you get so much done!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  12. Another great idea! Look like you can use these to clip and transport your coupons. Thanks for sharing on my What Are You Doing? Social hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara,
      Thank you so much! It's nice to meet you. Thank you for hosting.
      I will be adding your party to my blog hop page :)
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  13. This is such a cool idea. Thank you for sharing on the Classy Flamingos party. You've been PINKED!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so creative. They are so cute and useful. Thank you for sharing at #omhgww. See you next week!
    #omhgww, #aclwcc, #party, #linkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind to say so !
      Thank you for hosting each week.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  15. Brilliant Lisa! My mom gets a TON of junk mail so now I have options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,
      Thank you! Once in a while I find nice cardstock to reuse.
      It's fun to think about options.
      HAVE A GREAT WEEK!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  16. This is a interesting idea and very pretty. Thanks for taking the time to share it. #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna!
      It's so nice to have you visit.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  17. Lisa, this is such a cute idea, and a perfect way to recycle. You are being featured at the Friday with Friends link party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I appreciate you so much.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete

Faux Tin Tile Bunny

Hello My Friends!  Most of the Craft and Dollar Stores have some chunky cut outs for Spring! There are so many ways to decorate these. I use...