Wednesday, May 9, 2018

DIY Hanging Ladder for Patio plus Solar Light Jars

 
 
 Hi Friends !
 
 
I really wanted to add some lights over our backyard table.
 
My Dad made the table and I remember using it when I was a little girl.
 
When my Husband and I first got married, we had the biggest yard in the family
 
so we  got the table and have had it ever since.
 
That makes me happy because everyone wants to come to our house for Holiday's.
 
We love to BBQ and hang out on the Patio.
 
 It is a huge 8' Farmhouse Style Picnic Table. I have been trying to find an old ladder to
 
hang over the table but have not been able to find something I liked ..... time goes by  
  
and I am thinking....just make one.
 
It seemed fairly easy and inexpensive.
 
 
 
We are off to Home Depot for supplies-
 
THIS WAS MY ORIGINAL PLAN 
 
2 pieces of 1.5''x 1.5'' x 8'  Furring strips $ 2.00 each
 
(carefully pick pieces that are straight )
 
both cut by Home Depot to- 6'
 
with the scraps from the first cut- you will have 2 pieces 24''
 
cut those pieces to 12'' now you have 4 rungs 12'' and 2 - 6' long pieces.

                                            THIS WORKS OUT MATHMATICALLY   
 
perfectly!
 
BUT
 
I over bought and changed my mind on the size once I got home!
 
 
Now I have enough to make a second ladder...stay tuned next week will be
 
a Blanket Ladder with scraps from this project.
 
Disclaimer: I only spent an extra $2.00 so I'm good with that.
 

 
 
I had my Husband help with the power tools.
He used his electric staple gun.
 
 

We used a level to make sure the rungs were right.
 
 
 12'' pieces and 12'' apart
 

 
We used Eye hooks at the outside corners.
 
I bought 2 Chain plant hangers from Dollar Tree.
 
 
I used pliers to attach to eye hooks.
 
Add held it over the table to decide on length needed.
 
 
I used my favorite stain. 
 
 
.
Dark Brown BRIWAX-
I love this stain because it is a paste and a wax
only 1 step !
 
 
 


I bought S hooks at the Dollar Tree
 
 
And painted them black
 

 

 
 
 

NOW THE LIGHTS!
 
Dollar Tree again..... How ever many you like.
 
Remove the stake-  pulls right off
 
I used pint size, regular lid rings, some wire and pliers.

I like the Jewel Cut Jelly Jars, they give off a pretty design.
 
 
 
 
 
I could only find black and after I was finished I decided they would look
 
better silver or grey to match the rings. I popped them out and spray painted them grey. 
 
 
 
 
Made wire loops to hang 
 
 
wrap around the jar and slip off 
 
 
 attach and slip back on
 
 
 I used the S hooks and attached to ladder.
 
 
Here are the jars with the lights painted grey 
 
 
In the afternoon
 
 
At Sunset
 
 
 
 

I made 6 solar jars and that really gave off a lot of light.
 
I have just enough scrap wood left to make a Blanket Ladder this weekend.
 
So that will probably be the next post.
 
Sorry this seems a bit long, I appreciate you staying to the end !!!
 
xo Lisa S
 
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Great idea! Saw it on the Pieced Pastimes link party. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, Thank you so much! I'm so glad you came to visit- and thank you for the PIN ! XO Lisa S

      Delete
  2. So clever and I love how it turned out! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting week after week! I love the opportunity to share. Thanks for visiting! xo Lisa S

      Delete
  3. How beautiful! I love this idea, I have some old ladders that I could use & hang the solar lanterns on!

    You're welcome to drop by for a cup of inspiration!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingenious! I have pinned and am featuring this on this weeks OVER THE MOON LINK PARTY which goes live on Sunday at 5 pm central. Please stop by to see your feature and be sure to link up again!
    https://www.gwingal.com/2018/05/over-the-moon-124/
    :) gwingal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, Thank you so much for hosting week after week.
      Your parties are awesome! Thank you for the feature and the PIN! XO Lisa S

      Delete
  5. Thanks for post this great. I'm a long time reader but ive never commented till now.


    Thanks again for the awesome post.

    ReplyDelete

Faux Tin Tile Bunny

Hello My Friends!  Most of the Craft and Dollar Stores have some chunky cut outs for Spring! There are so many ways to decorate these. I use...