Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Original 1954 Old Fashioned Coffee Cake - Los Angeles Unified School District

 Hi Friends,

If you went to school back in the 1960's or 1970's, you may remember

this delicious Coffee Cake.

It was the reason to get to school early.

The school cafeteria had kids

 lining up for a warm slice.... and the slices were big.

Here is the original recipe-






Old Fashioned Coffee Cake

2  1/2 cups  Flour
1 cup  Brown Sugar, packed
1 cup + 1 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground Nutmeg
3/4 cup  Oil
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1  large Egg, beaten
1 cup Buttermilk       OR whole milk +1Tbsp. White Vinegar 
                                   OR 3/4 cup Sour Cream + 1/4 cup water


 Combine the first six ingredients. Mixture will be crumbly. Set aside 1/2 cup of this mixture for topping, add cinnamon to the topping portion.
Combine next ingredients to the first, do not over mix.
Pour into a greased 9'' x 13'' baking pan.
Sprinkle reserved topping mixture over batter.
Bake 350 degrees for 25 min.


In a large bowl combine first 6 ingredients. 


    Mix until crumbly.



in another bowl, set aside 1/2 cup topping.




Mix oil, milk and egg.




Reserved topping with cinnamon added.



Top with crumb topping.

Bake 350 degrees 25-30 min.



Serve warm.
Enjoy-




Aways handwash Pyrex to keep the colors vibrant.

A little cooking oil will bring back color to a dull surface.



I love my primary colored Pyrex Bowls!




I found this ad don't you love the price ?



I have an extra red bowl for my set-

We use it for Christmas and Valentines !

I hope you enjoyed a little nostalgia today.

Tell me if you remember this recipe or had a similar

school cafeteria favorite.

xo Lisa S



8 comments:

  1. I've saved the recipe for later, I can't wait to try it out. It looks so simple but the end result seems to be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, love those old vintage style recipes. Will for sure have to try this one as well.
    Found your post on Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop.
    My entries this week are numbered #51+52
    Hope you will join/share M-Sat at https://esmesalon.com/tag/seniorsalonpitstop/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slabs,
      I'm glad I could share this old fashioned recipe favorite with you.
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
  3. My school never had this, but I wish they did! Yum. Looks delicious.
    Visiting from The Crazy Little Lovebirds link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I think you will enjoy this coffee cake!
      xo Lisa S

      Delete
    2. And thanks for sharing this post with us at the Will Blog for Comments #46 linkup! We hope to see you sharing more posts, old or new, at linkup #47 when it opens Monday morning. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. Your awesome Original 1954 Old Fashioned Coffee Cake is featured on Full Plate Thursday 711 this week. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe with us, I can't wait to make it! Have a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Holiday Boutique Best Seller Hostess Gift

Hello my friend!  Today I want to share with you some of the projects I started working on for the Holiday season. For me, my first craft sh...