Wednesday, April 25, 2018

How to Care for WOOD Items in the KITCHEN



Farmhouse Kitchens are so beautiful. I love the natural elements of wooden bowls,
 
wood trays, crates and cutting/ bread boards. Just this last week while THRIFT SHOPPING 
 
 I found three cutting boards. They were poorly maintained but I knew I could get them back
 
to the way they should look.
 
I am certainly not an expert but I would like to share what I have learned
 
and what has worked for me.
 
 
 
 
       Maintaining a cutting board is a quick and easy task that will keep your board sanitary,

                                        looking new and extend the life of your board.

                        Wash your cutting board with soap and warm water and scrub well.

     After washing the cutting board, dry immediately with a towel and let it air dry standing up or

                                                            on a raised rack with air flow.



  If your board has stains or smells, you can use lemon juice or white vinegar directly on the area.


        The acid in these liquids will neutralize the organic material or fats causing the problem.

 
If the stain is a discoloring on the surface you can try and use very fine sandpaper.
 
I maintain my wood items with Mineral Oil. 
 
 
 
Mineral Oil
 
            Mineral oil  is a non-toxic, non-drying product that is colorless, odorless, and flavorless.

     Its properties prevent water absorption, which makes food-grade mineral oil (as determined

               by the Federal Drug Administration) a popular choice for wooden kitchen items

               such as wooden spoons, bowls, and, of course, cutting boards and butcher blocks.

                                        The key word here is food-safe,  there are

                              types of mineral oils that are not safe for human consumption.


               You can find it in the pharmacy where laxatives are sold. I bought mine at Target,

                                     it was not very expensive and will last a long time.

                                          Regular application of mineral oil will prevent

                                  cutting boards from becoming dry and brittle, which

     can cause a cracks.  A board that is treated with oil also prevents liquids from penetrating the

                                        board, which is often the source of germs and bacteria.

 
PLEASE NOTE:
 
               I do not recommend natural oils such as vegetable, corn, olive, peanut or walnut oil,

                         as these are rich in fats that will eventually oxidize and go RANCID,

               creating a foul smelling board. Also, never use standard mineral oil from a hardware

                                   that is not rated as food safe, as that is meant for machine

                                                lubrication and not for contact with food.




Add a generous amount with a clean soft cloth. You will be amazed
 
how much the wood will absorb the oil.
 
Keep rubbing until it has soaked in to the touch. Wipe off excess if needed.
 
 


BEAUTIFUL !
 
This will also give new life to vintage rolling pins, all metal pans and kitchenware.

 
 
Before, looking a bit dried out
 
 

You can see the difference here.
 
 
 
And after I finished you can see the improvement.
 
 

 
The Mineral Oil also works well on vintage utensils.
 
It helps clean and stops rust, giving the metal a nice sheen.
 
I recommend wiping down your vintage cookie cutters after use to protect
 
them from rust. I store my rolling pins in an old crock ready for use!
 

 
I hope you found this helpful.
 
Thank  you so much for stopping by!
 
xoLisaS
 
 

19 comments:

  1. Great tips, Lisa & I love your crock! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm--pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are WELCOME! Thank you for hosting, I really appreciate it. xoLisaS

      Delete
  2. What great tips for keeping wooden kitchen utensils in great shape. I immediately noticed the crock that you had your utensils in. It reminded me of the crocks that my grandmother and mother had, which triggered some great memories. Thank you for sharing at Wonderful Wednesday blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy,
      I'm glad you stopped by. Thanks for hosting at Wonderful Wednesday. That is nice that I could remind you of special moments. I have most of my antiques through loved ones and that is precious to me. xoLisaS

      Delete
  3. I like your crock and the wooden rolling pins. Thanks for the tip on using Mineral Oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm glad you found the tip useful.
      xoLisaS

      Delete
  4. Going through Mom's things I found many "vintage" or just old utensils. Now I don't have to throw them away. Thanks for helping me keep Mom close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great information! Thanks so much for sharing at the To Grandma's House We Go DIY, Crafts, Recipes and More Link party! Pinned this! Hope you join us again next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, Thank you so much for hosting! I appreciate the visit and the invitation to return! xoLisaS

      Delete
  6. Great tips! I have so many wooden items in my kitchen and I seriously baby them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen, So glad you stopped by. I'm glad to liked the tips I shared. xoLisaS

      Delete
  7. Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment. I'm so glad you stopped by. I hope you have a wonderful week. xoLisaS

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your tip on Merry Monday. I need to remember to use mineral oil on my cookie cutters to prevent them from rusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hosting. I appreciate the opportunity to share. Please visit again. xoLisaS

      Delete
  9. Lisa, this is such an important post. Glad to see your emphasis on food-grade mineral oil. AND I've always ordered it from Amazon as I couldn't find it locally, so I'm very glad to know where to look for it in Target! Pinning. #HearthandSoul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, I am so glad you found my post useful. It's so nice to meet you. Thanks for visiting. Thank you for the pin! xoLisaS

      Delete
  10. Marilyn,
    Thank you so much.! You have great parties. xoLisaS

    ReplyDelete

Faux Tin Tile Bunny

Hello My Friends!  Most of the Craft and Dollar Stores have some chunky cut outs for Spring! There are so many ways to decorate these. I use...